It has been a long time, 62 weeks, since we last worshipped together in the sanctuary at Ascension. We are pleased to announce that the wait is over, sort of. Like everything over the past 14.5 months, our return to worship in the sanctuary, is not a return to worship as it was in February of 2020, prior to the early COVID-19. We will follow the guidelines established by the CDC, CA Department of Public Health, and the Sacramento County Public Health Office, which limits our occupancy, requires masks and social distancing, and prohibits singing. But we will finally be worshiping together in-person and indoors!
In November, the Church Council voted to not consider in-person worship until Sacramento County reached the Orange Tier of California’s COVID-19 Blueprint for a Safer Economy. However, it appears unlikely that Sacramento County will reach the Orange Tier before June 15, the date that Gov. Newsom announced that California will return to “business as usual.” While nobody knows with certainty what that will mean, it likely means that the tier system will be eliminated. As a result, the Council voted to approve in-person indoor worship beginning Sunday, May 30, 2021. For the time being, we will have one worship service each Sunday at 10 am.
- To make a reservation go to our website (www.luthchurch.org) and click on the Welcome In link which will take you to an online reservation system. Enter your name and the number of people in your party. This is the preferred reservation method.
- If you do not have access to the internet, you may call the church office (916-723-5223) between noon on Monday and noon on Friday preceding the Sunday you plan to attend. No reservations will be available after noon on Friday.
- If there is no answer, leave your first and last name, the number of people in your party, and a phone number. You will be contacted only if your reservation is not confirmed or can only be confirmed for overflow seating.
- If you want to sit with others, please make one reservation for your entire group.
- After reservations close at noon on Friday, you will receive a reminder email that afternoon with instructions and a reminder of what to expect on Sunday morning.
What to expect during in-person indoor worship:
- Wear a mask and maintain 6 feet of physical distance.
- Enter the narthex (lobby) from either the fountain courtyard doors or the Biblical Garden doors on the St. Patrick Ct. side.
- A greeter will meet you to
- Check in your entire group and ask if anyone in your group is sick. If so, they will not be allowed to enter the sanctuary.
- Give you the prepackaged communion elements.
- Direct you to the sanctuary doors on the side of the sanctuary nearest your assigned seats.
- Place your offering in the blue box.
- Wait for an usher who will direct you to your seats where you should remain until the conclusion of the worship service.
- You will not receive a bulletin; the words for the songs and responses will be projected on the screens. There are also no hymnals or Bibles in the pew racks.
- During worship there will be no sharing of the peace
- Following the service an usher will dismiss worshipers beginning with the back row. You will be asked to leave through the sanctuary doors that go directly outdoors, not through the narthex.